Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Amsterdam








































Pretty much everyone knows about the suitcase debacle by now, so we'll just say that I learned a few lessons that day.  And now we can move on.

We really just had 1 full day in Amsterdam.  The city was full of the nicest people.  Seriously. And the city had such a laid back feel to it.  Katie really enjoyed her time there, and I would love to visit again, but maybe a bit later in the spring. I'm seeing photos on Instagram with tulips growing around the city and feeling a bit sad to have missed the flowers.

I read that most people ride bikes around the city, but it still surprised me just how many bikes there were everywhere!  People riding to work, texting and biking, carrying large packages in one arm and biking.  And the bike parking everywhere! Multi-level parking structures, huge expanses of bikes, bike racks all along the public transportation routes.

We started at the Anne Frank house. Then took a hop on/off boat tour to the Museum District, where we spent some time at the Van Gogh Museum.  They have an amazing cafe at the museum where we stopped for lunch before walking through the galleries.

We also tried out Dutch pancakes and pommes frites (Dutch fries) with the traditional mayo for dipping.  I didn't see any pickled herring stands, which surprised me, but I was kinda dreading having to eat one.  Katie would have been up for the challenge!

Amsterdam was also where I learned about the traditional European breakfast, which I have adopted and like to eat a few times a week at home now.  There were the typical pastries and cereals, but I liked the cheese, meats, olives, and crusty breads.  I'm still dreaming about how a slice of cheese could taste that good!

Up next, the train to Paris...

No comments:

Post a Comment